TOKYO BEKANA, MIZUNA & ASIAN GREENS RECIPES
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 oz
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (6 oz)
- 1 head Tokyo Bekana bottom trimmed, shredded
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and grated
- 10 leaves basil cut into fine slivers
- 10 leaves mint cut into fine slivers
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- Peanut sauce or ponzu sauce for dipping
- In a medium saucepan, pour coconut milk over chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Poach chicken until it is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Allow chicken to cool in poaching liquid. Remove chicken and shred.
- Discard poaching liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, shredded Tokyo bekana, scallions, carrots, basil and mint.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, honey, and sesame oil.
- Pour over vegetables and chicken. Cover and refrigerate one hour.
- When ready to serve, lay Tokyo bekana outer leaves on work surface.
- Divide filling between the leaves and roll each leaf into a bundle.
- Fill a pie plate with cold water.
- Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water and let it soak until it just becomes pliable.
- Lay rice paper wrapper on work surface and lay vegetable bundle in the centre.
- Wrap up burrito style and set aside. Continue with remaining wrappers and vegetable bundles.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauce such as peanut sauce or ponzu.
PEAR AND MIZUNA SALAD
- ⅓ cup red onion cut into thin slivers
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 qts. loosely packed small tender greens, such as baby red or green mustard, radish leaves, red or green mizuna, and/or tops of edible chrysanthemum
- ½ Asian pear cut into slim wedges
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 firm-ripe avocado halved and pitted, then sliced crosswise
- In a small bowl, combine onion and vinegar.
- Chill at least 15 minutes or up to several hours.
- Put greens and pear in a large salad bowl.
- Stir oil and soy sauce into onion mixture, then gently toss with salad to coat.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and avocado on top and toss gently just to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- 5 oz mizuna can also add arugula & cress
- Few leaves of basil optional
- Wash and slice stems, roughly chop greens
For dressing, mix
- 1 Tsp-1TBS grated ginger
- 3 tbsp ponzu
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds ground in mortar (or coffee grinder)
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame oil
- Drizzle over.