BAKED CREAMY CELERIAC AND POTATO GRATIN
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large celeriac
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
- In a saucepan, bring 200ml vegetable stock to the boil
- Add 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed, then remove from the heat and stir in 200ml double cream.
- Set aside to cool and infuse.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and gently fry 1 large onion, chopped, for 10 minutes, until very soft.
- Peel and quarter 1 large celeriac, then slice to 3mm thickness.
- Put in a bowl with 3 medium potatoes, sliced to 3mm thickness.
- Toss with 1 tbsp plain flour, 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley and some seasoning.
- Butter a 1.2-litre ovenproof dish and layer up the celeriac, potatoes and the softened onion.
- Strain the cream mixture (discard the garlic) into a jug and pour over the gratin.
- Bake for 1-1¼ hours, until golden brown and bubbling and the potatoes are cooked through.
- 1 celeriac mine was 600 g / 21 oz
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp smoky paprika
- coarse sea salt
- ketchup to serve (optional)
- Set the oven to 200° C / 390° F fan function
- If you don’t have fan function increase the temperate by 20° C / 70° F
- Line a baking tray with a piece of baking paper.
- Top and tail your celeriac and peel it with a speed peeler.
- Cut the peeled celeriac in half and then cut each half into approx. 1 cm / 0.5″ thick slices.
- Cut each slice into approx. 1 cm / 0.5″ thick batons.
- Place the celeriac batons in a large bowl and coat in 1 tbsp of olive oil and smoky paprika.
- Hold off with salt until the chips have been baked.
- Place the celeriac chips on the baking tray in a single layer making sure there is a bit of space around each chip.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- After the time is up, remove the tray from the oven and carefully flip each fry.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, until the tops are nicely blistered and lightly charred in places.
- Sprinkle with salt and consume immediately.