Carrot Red Lentil & Basil Soup
this recipe was sent in by Patricia Kovnats and is from: Cornucopia cookbook, vegetarian restaurant in Dublin Ireland)
- 1 onion
- 5 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery including leaves
- 1/2 leek
- 150 grams red lentils
- big bunch fresh basil 75-100 grams
- sunflower oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 litres water
- Roughly chop onions, carrots, celery and leek.
- Generously coat base of large pot with oil and place over medium heat.
- Add chopped vegetables, stir briefly to coat with oil, cover with a lid, turn down to a low heat and sweat for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add two litres of water and the red lentils. Stir carefully to ensure that the lentils do not stick to the base of the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the carrots are soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the fresh basil, reserving some sprigs for garnish.
- Blend until smooth using a stick (immersion) blender.
- Add water if it’s too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring back to a simmer and serve.
- Garnish each bowl with a sprig of basil.