beet & Beet greens RECIPES
Lemon and Butter Braised beet greens.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 lbs baby beet leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over low heat, and add the garlic.
- Cook gently, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant but does not take on any color.
- Add the moist greens, raise the heat to medium-high, and cover the pan.
- Cook until the greens wilt, about 2 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice.
- Remove the cover; if there’s any excess liquid, cook until it evaporates.
- Toss the greens with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and serve hot.
Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes
- 2.5 pounds red beets leaves removed and beets cleaned, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks, about 1.5 inches
- 1 pound sweet potatoes cleaned, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks, about 1.5 inches
- 3.5 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese opt for a vegetarian or vegan variety if needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place beet and sweet potato chunks into a large bowl.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons of avocado oil, salt, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper.
- Add garlic powder, smoked paprika and dried oregano.
- Grease a large sheet pan with the remaining ½ tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Place beet and sweet potato chunks onto the sheet pan and spread them out in a single layer.
- Cook about 35 minutes, turning halfway, or until tender.
- Once veggies are done to your liking, transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta and freshly chopped cilantro (if using).
- Serve and enjoy!
Yields 4 larger servings or 6 smaller servings.